Last summer, a friend gave me a bag of maternity clothes. The bag also had a couple of nursing tops, including a Bravado nursing tank top. The top was in great shape, except that one of the closures was broken, so the flap wouldn’t stay closed. It turns out that those tank tops retail for $50, so I figured it was worth trying to fix it. I called the company to see if I could buy a new clasp, but they said they couldn’t do that.
So yesterday, I stopped at Goodwill and browsed through their tank top section to see if I could find a shirt with a clasp I could use. I found this, for a dollar:
You can see the little clasps where the straps connect to the shirt – they unhook easily, and are already mounted on brown straps, which are the same color as the straps on the nursing tank.
Here’s the nursing tank top before I fixed it:
The closure on the left is fine, but the one on the right is missing the bottom part of the clasp. So last night I removed the top part of the broken clasp, cut one of the straps off the Goodwill tank top, and used it to make a new closure for the nursing top. Here’s a close-up of the finished project:
It works perfectly, and blends in nicely with the rest of the shirt. For now, I left the other side the way it was, as it had a perfectly good clasp already. I could replace it with the other hook from the Goodwill shirt if I wanted the two sides to match, but at least now the shirt is functional. Not bad for a dollar and about half an hour of sewing.
Now our little one just needs to decide to come out and meet us so that I can switch from maternity tops to nursing tops…